Thursday, December 4, 2008

Applying Rubber Stamps to Acrylic Blocks

My very first tutorial for you all!


I was so excited last week when my Starving Artistamps Creatures arrived in the mail. But I quickly realized I was unsure what to do with them. They were a fantastic price (just over $3 each) because you only get the rubber - no cushion or wood block. I hadn't thought about the cushion part and thought I could hire my husband (a carpenter) to make blocks for me. Wrong. Ok, perhaps it could have been done with contact cement, but then you still have the cushion issue, and a water solubility issue. So I did some Googling.

That led me to needing to venture into the arena of Acrylic Blocks. I have always used wood based stamps so had no idea what to do. I quickly found out I needed a product called EZ-Mount. Unfortunately EZ-Mount googling for retailers in Calgary turned up nothing. And I didn't want to have to place an order online and wait even longer to use these fantastic sets. So I headed to Michaels today. They have plain acrylic blocks, but nothing for mounting (a word to the wise). So I went to a local Scrapbooking store. Not only did they have the EZ Mount, but they had the acrylic blocks at half the price of Michaels! Woohoo!

So, here we go:

Supplies needed - Acrylic block, rubber stamp & Thin EZ Mount (supposedly it is also sold in thick, there just wasn't that option at the store I was at).

The instructions were all written out on the EZ Mount which was great. First, you peel back the adhesive layer and stick on all of your rubber stamps.


Then cut them out using your rubber scissors (I used my SU Craft Rubber Scissors) as close to the stamps as possible.


Then peel back the static layer, and apply to the acrylic block! The nice thing is that once you are done stamping, the rubber stamp peels off ready to be replaced with the next one you wish to use. One block and a multitude of stamps. Excellent.




Here's the stamped image result:


I shouldn't really compare the wood versus acrylic given I have only stamped using an acrylic block once. But, I did find it to not be quite as comfortable in your hand which might be a tad uncomfortable if you were doing a multitude of cards. Thankfully there is also the option with Starving Artistamps to buy some of their sets wood mounted. You just pay a higher fee.

Now to use this monkey on a card.... off to do some work :)

1 comments:

Rose Ann said...

Great tutorial, Carmen!

My favorite blocks are CTMH (acrylic but shaped the same as a wood block). Unity Stamp company has some incredible blocks that have wood/acrylic combination. Here are the links:

http://www.closetomyheart.com/Ideabooks/Fall08US.aspx (on page 56)

http://www.unitystampco.com/handles

Maybe you'll like these better. :D